FROM OUR BLOG :
BROTHER ANDRÉ’S PRIE-DIEU
By Claude Grou,CSC
Rector, Saint Joseph’s Oratory
Arches and Chapels…
The Crypt Church pleases with its oak woodwork, its light fixtures, and ornate arches in its ceiling. An edifice of sober lines, it is appointed with many side chapels and an organ loft. The church, as part of an immense architectural ensemble, was built according to the plans of Dalbé Viau and Alphonse Venne in a neoclassical style. The facade is constructed of stone blocks coming from Deschambault.
|Beginning of the construction: 1915|
|Inauguration: December 16, 1917|
|Consecration: August 9, 1943|
|Length: 63.39 m (208 ft)|
|Width: 36.5 m (120 ft)|
|Height: 13.1 m (42 ft)|
|Seating capacity: 1000 persons|
To Behold in the Crypt Church
The statue of saint Joseph in the center of the sanctuary was carved from Carrara marble by the Italian artist, A. Giacomini, in 1917. It measures 2.75 m (9 ft) high.
Stained-glass windows evoking the life of Saint Joseph were created in 1919 by Perdriau and O’Shea.
The statue of Our Lady of the Assumption, on the left side altar, was a gift by Acadian benefactors in 1921.
The Sanctuary area was remodelled in 1966 using the designs of the artist/decorator Jean-Charles Charuest.
The tabernacle on the right side altar was designed by the artist Jordi Bonet in 1966.
The large crucifix is frequently venerated by believers who pray there while touching Jesus’ feet.
A fresco by the artist Henri Charlier surmounts the central door, depicting the death of Saint Joseph. Many years ago, Brother André’s tomb was located just beneath this fresco.
The glass base beneath the statue of Saint Brother André contains slips of paper on which are written prayer intentions which are deposited there by pilgrims.
The Casavant organ was built in 1917.
FROM OUR BLOG :
A CENTENARIAN ORGAN
By David Bureau
Archivist,Roland-Gauthier Archive and Documentation Center